Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My name is ***** ***** Winston and my 2005 ford expedition

Customer Question
hello my name is *****...
hello my name is ***** ***** Winston and my 2005 ford expedition is getting a po303 misfire code.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. well it started about 3 mouths ago I was driving to Vegas and just as I got maybe 30 minutes outside of city limits my truck started running funny. I sounded like it was going to die but never did. Next day I took it in to get my oil changed and told them what had happen. The mechanic came out and said my number 3 spark plug came out. I didn't believe it but he said you might start looking at maybe buying another vehicle cause your model of vehicle is notorious for that. So he put plug back in and a few weeks later I took it to the Ford Dealer had them to check it out. They told me that it was my PCM was bad and I needed another one. So I bought one off line and it came flashed and programmed so I installed it and my truck is doing the exact same thing as before. It was a little rough at stopsigns, and at very low speeds it feels like a car with a very big cam in it. So im at a lost and need some insight
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
2/1/2016
Ford Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. If your spark plug blew out, it would have been very loud. Was it very loud when this supposedly happened?

What did they do to repair the plug that had blown out? Did they simply screw the plug back in? were the threads damaged forcing them to install a heli coil?

the P0303 code indicates a cylinder 3 misfire. There are multiple potential causes of a misfire, but most commonly it's an ignition coil. If your plug did blow out of the head, depending on the quality of the repair you may have damaged ignition coil wires, bad coil (if they didn't replace it) bad plug (if they didn't replace it) low compression, etc.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician