Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 f350 diesel, hooked up led reverse lights now…

Customer Question
I have a 2014 f350...
I have a 2014 f350 diesel, hooked up led reverse lights now when I shift into reverse they come one for one second then shut off then I try again and nothing, if I turn truck off and then back on again and try to shift into reverse they come on for 1 second again then shut off, fuse is good..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/31/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Are the factory lights remaining on? or are they shutting off as well?

No they are shutting off as well

If you disconnect your lights the factory ones work again?

No I tried that also, do u think it is a relay?

The reverse lamp relay is only for the trailer tow. WHen you put your truck in reverse the interior fuse panel (smart junction box) sends power to the relay and tees off and goes to the reverse lamps in the tail lamps.

You may have done something that messed up the smart junction box. But it does have internal circuit protection. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. If the box has tripped a circuit breaker it will reset.

Ok I will try that

DO you have a trailer plugged in that could be shorting it in reverse?

No there's no trailer or anything hooked up

Try doing the battery then. And do you know what color wires and where they were that you hooked up to?

I just disconnected the battery and then hooked it back up and still just comes on for 1 second then shuts off

Did you replace the factory bulbs in the lens' with an aftermarket bulb?

No the factory tail light have the factory bulbs and I only spliced into the hot wire to the led lights under the bumper and then grounded them
I figured it out never mind. I appreciate your help anyway. It was a loose ground wire..

You didnt disturb the ground on the left rear corner of the frame rail?

Oh ok. Thanks for letting me assist you. Please rate my service and have a good evening. Thank you.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please rate the service provided and have a great day.