Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

, F 350 EFI 1990 auto trans will start if i use starter

Customer Question

DAVE
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: F 350 EFI 1990 auto trans will start if i use starter fluid but dies shortly after fuel pressure at the rail is 38 to 40 on both tanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you are sure you have good fuel pressure , can you check and see if you have injector pulse. You can do this with a standard 12 volt test light by placing the test end on the red power wire at any one of the injector connectors and then place the ground end of the test light on the other wire with a paper clip in the connector and crank the engine over. If you have pulse the light should flash. If you do not then the light will glow steady. Let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i find you if i lose this page
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

All you need to do is book mark this page. Im here for a while yet today and all day tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok checking now
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have injector pulse and I have tac while cranking. It will only start when I use eather. And than dies.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In order for the engine to start and run you need proper fuel pressure, 32 to 45 PSI, good spark to the spark plugs and injector pulse. If you are sure you have all three then the engine should start. Are you sure you have injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure. It will stay running as long as I am feeding it eather.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well if the injectors are actually pulsing and you have proper fuel pressure it should stay running. If you pull up the injector rail up and crank the engine over do you see fuel spraying out of the injectors? If you check this be careful to stay away from an ignition source.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try. Can I do it with just one injector?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In order to see if there spraying you are going to need to remove the 2 mounting bolts and raise the rail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be later I will give it a shot.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay , just be care to not get close to an ignition source if. Unplug the coil to avoid a fire if they are spraying as the should be.