Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2005 E250 blinkers were buzzing now nothing brake lights

Customer Question
went out but jiggling wires...
2005 E250 blinkers were buzzing now nothing brake lights went out but jiggling wires brought it back I think I found the flasher beside interior fuse box replaced it no blinkers can't find relay if there is one help!!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/31/2016
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Pull the wiring harness apart to locate where this short is and repair accordingly.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which wiring harness

The one you were moving around that caused the change.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not cause the change. As I explained, the blinkers stopped working. A buzzing sound was all I had for a couple days and now nothing. I was advised to fiddle with the harness going into the blinker switch, maybe loose. I did but it did not help.

Yes you did, you said that jiggling wires brought it back, THOSE wires.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
read my first message. I said jiggling the wires brought back the brake lights, not the blinkers or emergency flashers. The blinkers and flashes are out. I replaced the flasher and it did not work. Can't find a relay if one exists. The manual doesn't show anything.

No relay for this, so we need to check the power distribution box under the hood for any breaks in wiring before we move into the dash board and steering wheel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure if you meant the box with the relays or the vertical bar behind it with the three big connecters with all the wires. I checked both and the wires all look good as far as I could see.

It's always a good idea to check behind and underneath them too for corrosion and the possibility of rodents chewing through wiring.

Thanks again

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked everywhere. Can't find any wire that was compromised. I followed them all as far as I could.

Ok, then it appears that this may be a bit beyond your capabilities which is not bad, you just may need a little assistance from a shop at this point. Sorry for that news, and I hope this doesn't affect my rating. We did try for you.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you think it could be the blinker switch

Possible, but that would not cause the brake lights to not work depending how they're wired.

Thanks again,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the break lights are fine as I explained. As far as I know, The blinkers And hazards are the only things not working.

Ok, this post is just getting too long. There are 2 different flashers, 1 for the blinkers and 1 for the flashers. It's doubtful they are both bad at the same time. Most likely there is a wiring problem. Please don't forget to rate me now.

Thanks again,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it cost me 38 bucks to be told to check for rotted wires thanks ron

No, I gave you several different things to check that you DID NOT or could not do. All the ideas I gave you are valid ones and that's what we commissioned to do for you. If you are unable to carry out the tasks, that's not my fault. Please understand and rate me fairly.

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor