Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

While my truck is idling the heat works fine. When I'm

Customer Question
moving all I get is...
While my truck is idling the heat works fine. When I'm moving all I get is cold air in all positions; heat, panel, defrost. ???
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/31/2016
Ford Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. That sounds like a bad thermostat. Did you replace it when you did the water pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not replace thermostat. My temp gauge is functioning properly so I assumed thermostat was good.

I think your thermostat is stuck open. That is definitely where I would start. When you start your truck does it seem take a long time to reach operating temperature? Does it even reach normal operating temperature?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The truck reaches normal temp in 7 to 10 minuets (roughly) at idle. Changing the thermostat is an easy enough procedure but, the one that's in there is only about 4 years old.

Was this an issue before you replaced the water pump as well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yep

Ok. when your driving and the air is blowing cold, what does the temperature gauge on the dash do? Does it drop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Temp gauge holds steady.

so the engine temp does not drop when you are cruising and the air is blowing cold? Where is the gauge? middle? just past?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
middle

At idle, does it actually blow as hot as it should, or does it just blow warm?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll throw a new thermostat in and get back to you. The wife is nagging, so I gotta go. It does blow as hot as it should at Idle

Ok. Let me know. If it's not the thermostat then I would suspect a restricted heater core, although the symptoms point more toward a thermostat but if it were the thermostat then the engine temp should drop as the air blows colder.

This is rather bazaar

Ron, ASE Certified Technician