Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

01 ranger does not want to start in cold, runs bad (low

Customer Question
choppy idle) while cold...
01 ranger does not want to start in cold, runs bad (low choppy idle) while cold
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/30/2016
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

The first thing I would check is the idle air control valve. It is a major player for cold starting and idle air control. They can stick and not close enough causing the air fuel mixture to be too lean for cold engine operation. Sometimes you can verify it by starting the engine cold and when it is running poorly lightly tap on the valve with a small hammer. If the idle speed increases to normal cold high idle then replace the valve.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

I should have told you I cleaned intake assembly in Sep. 2015... today I found the problem when I moved a trailer, my O.D. shut off button would not work and found a pinched and shorted wire (what a mess) still not shure why it didn't through a code or blew a fuse .

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure why a pinched wire for the overdrive switch would cause cold starting issues, but if that took care of it then all the better.