Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Vehicle is a 1996 Ford E350 Econoline VIN G with a 7.5l V8

Customer Question
engine (gas EFI) Vehicle is not...
Vehicle is a 1996 Ford E350 Econoline VIN G with a 7.5l V8 engine (gas EFI)
Vehicle is not starting after a few days of 9 - 16 degree weather. I have narrowed the problem down to no fuel supply. I checked fuel pump fuse in engine compartment which was good. I checked the fuel shutoff switch - passenger side panel and that is good. I tried starting with Quick Start engine intake spray and it did start for a few seconds.
I have switched key on and listened by fuel cap - cannot hear fuel pump.
I removed the fuel line from the fuel filter under driver side on chassis and cranked the engine for a few seconds - no fuel comes out the fuel line.
My question is: In order to make sure this is a fuel pump failure is it a valid test to remove a fuel line from the fuel filter and see if fuel comes out when engine is cranked or does the fuel pump need a pressurized environment to operate?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/28/2016
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. I believe what your question basically asks, is how to check fuel pressure? Is that right? Fuel pressure is tested with a fuel pressure gauge that is screwed to a schrader valve (similar to where you put air in a tire at) that is located on the fuel rail, you then turn the key on, or crank the engine, and watch the fuel pressure gauge, your fuel pressure in that 7.5 gas engine should be around 35-40 psi with key on engine off, But if you do not hear the fuel pump run at all with your ear near the tank and turning the key on, (it should prime for a couple of seconds and run constantly when cranking) Then likely there is one of two problems, No power at the pump, or the pump itself has failed. Do you have a voltmeter or test light, What I would suggest is, checking power at that fuel shutoff switch, if there is power there, then we know the fuel pump relay is good, however, if there is no power there, then it's likely not the pump but a power supply issue. Let me know, Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question is can I check if the fuel pump is working by disconnecting a fuel line from the fuel filter, cranking and see if fuel comes out the line. I do not have access to pressure gauges. I swapped out the fuel relay with a new one,

Yes you can, but it's difficult to know how much pressure is really there. If the pump is weak, and you only have 5 lbs. of pressure, then it wouldn't start, but, it would be helpful to know if there was any there, because if there was any, then likely you do have battery voltage to the pump when cranking, I would take it loose at the filter, and put the end in a bucket, that usually keeps the mess down.

or you can find the schrader valve at the rail, push it with a small screwdriver and turn the key on, then gas sprays everywhere, again, thats messy, but you wouldn't have to undo any lines then.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I had removed the line off the filter and cranked the engine. No fuel comes out the fuel line at all. I was not sure if that was a valid test, but is seems the fuel pump has failed

OK, I follow you. It's either the pump itself, or a power suppy problem. I would get a cheap 12 volt test light (They are fairly cheap at any auto parts store) and just make sure you have power at the fuel pump safety switch when cranking, If you have power there, then likely you do have it at the pump, Before you replace the pump I would highly suggest verifying you do have power to it. It's probably the pump if you swapped the relay though. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I switch on the ignition I do get fuel gauge movement. I thought that might show power at the fuel pump from the sender unit. Is the fuel pump safety switch the one on the passenger side kick panel? The fuel cut off switch.

Fuel gauge movement means the sending unit is getting powered up, but the fuel pump supply circuit, is a different circuit than the gauge circuit, The pump safety switch is the one on the passenger kick panel. Also known as an inertia switch, that is what you should check power on first when cranking, to be sure it has power there. If it does, then unless there wire is broke between that switch and the pump, then I believe you'll be looking at a new pump replacement.

Did you try to spray it with starting fluid, just to see if it would hit and run briefly then? Just wondering.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sprayed starter fluid and it ran for a few seconds.

Alright, I'd check voltage at the switch, and if you had it there then I would go ahead with the pump replacement. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the info - I will do that. Last time something like this happened a squirrel got in there and chewed some wires.

Yes, I've seen that, one mouse can rake havoc!

Hello, Thought I'd follow up with you. did you get the Van running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No not running yet...I measured voltage like u said at the safety fuel shutoff switch and it was 6 volts..not sure if it supposed to be more than 6 volts

Yes, it should be battery voltage . at least 10 volts when cranking, check the yellow wire at fuel pump relay, see if it has battery voltage.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician