Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a duel rear wheel f350 super duty with automatic

Customer Question

I have a duel rear wheel f350 super duty with automatic transmission. drives and shifts fine when not towing anything. when i tow my boat which is around 10000 lbs. speed and shifting are reduced while rpms increase. what can i do to make this run like it should?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

When using overdrive the transmission will take advantage of overdrive, if you turn o/d off it can and will sometimes shift at higher rpms.

In some cases it is perfectly safe to tow with overdrive on, you can evaluate your driving and transmission to determine which is better for you. I highly suggest for heavy towing a larger trans cooler, filter system and trans temp gauge to be sure you do not cook the tranny as heat is a major killer of them. Another thing that does help is a programmer such as tow only mode but you also want to run a pyrometer.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.