Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Tj. I have a power steering problem with a 2002 ford taurus…

Customer Question
Tj. I have a...

Tj. I have a power steering problem with a 2002 ford taurus that mechanics have been unable to diagnose. It shoots power steering fluid out the cap when you turn the engine off. I've replaced the power steering pump and bled the lines multiple times. Air must be geting in somewhere.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/154290-fluid-coming-out-power-steering-pump-cap-2.html We cannot find the 'plate' or 'bolt' they talk about there which seems to be a common problem I see some references that claim the pressure relief valve is part of the power steering pump but Autozone says the pressure relieve valve is in the rack, so I'm really confused, now.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
I paid, needs the help!
1/27/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician

Hello, this concern is caused by an issue in the steering rack. Replacing the steering rack and pinion is on way to replace it. The other is to remove and tighten the nut on the passenger side. This nut/screw is inside the steering rack once you remove the boot that protects it and the inner tie rod end.

I found that answer on google, too. This nut is not loose, there is no fluid in the boot on either side. If there's an obstruction somewhere else (another cause I see for this on internet searches) what is the best way to remove the obstruction?

If there is no obstruction then I would replace the power steering pressure line. This line I have also seen cause the same concern. Overtime the fluid swells the rubber and causes a restriction.

Phone is not good for me as I am deaf. I really just want to know how to clear an obstruction if there's one there.

An obstruction in the power steering lines isn't possible when rubber swells. Your only option is to install a new power steering line on the pressure side.

James, Ford Technician