Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1989 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat with a 5.8L engine. When…

Customer Question
I have a 1989...

I have a 1989 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat with a 5.8L engine. When starting with a cold engine, the temperature rises to a bit above normal and the engine light comes on. I continue driving and in a minute the temperature drops to normal and the light extinguishes. Is this likely due to a faulty thermostat?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

This usually happens when I haven't driven the vehicle for a while. Since it is a 1989 with only 76000 miles, it obviously sits in the garage a lot. Once the described problem occurs, I can stop and start the engine for short trips the rest of the day and the problem does not recur. I do not notice any other symptoms. No hesitation or rough idling.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/27/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

I'm sorry the Expert you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place. Sorry for the delay.

The problem you are describing dose sound like you do have a sticking thermostat and I would start with making sure the cooling system is full and if so, replace the thermostat . Doing so in most cases should resolve this problem.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.