Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition, the check engine light came…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition, the check engine light came on during my trip from Williamsburg VA to Reston VA. My mechanic is in Willaimsburg; my question is should I have the vehicle checked out here in Reston or would it be safe to drive the 150 mile down to Williamsburg?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The vehicles seems to be running fine but the engine knocks sometimes when I reach high rates of speed. I just had the vehicle winterized last month and it checked out fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/27/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron Z., - Ford Tech - replied 2 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -

Before driving 150 miles, I would strongly recommend that you first have the vehicle checked. However, before paying a shop to check it, you can have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the on-board computer. These p-codes will give you a little insight as to where the problem lies. If the problem is in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System, it's perfectly safe to drive the vehicle, as the EVAP System is for emissions only and will not effect engine performance. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If the problem lies outside the EVAP System, it may be a good idea to have the vehicle serviced before driving a long distance, as this could result in other parts or sensors in other systems being harmed. If you can have those p-codes scanned and would like my opinion from there, feel free to bounce any questions you may have off me! All follow-ups are Free even after you rate! If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Were there any other questions you had on this issue?