How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ron Z. Your Own Question
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 19049
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Ron Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition, the check engine light came

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition, the check engine light came on during my trip from Williamsburg VA to Reston VA. My mechanic is in Willaimsburg; my question is should I have the vehicle checked out here in Reston or would it be safe to drive the 150 mile down to Williamsburg?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The vehicles seems to be running fine but the engine knocks sometimes when I reach high rates of speed. I just had the vehicle winterized last month and it checked out fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Before driving 150 miles, I would strongly recommend that you first have the vehicle checked. However, before paying a shop to check it, you can have the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the on-board computer. These p-codes will give you a little insight as to where the problem lies. If the problem is in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System, it's perfectly safe to drive the vehicle, as the EVAP System is for emissions only and will not effect engine performance. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If the problem lies outside the EVAP System, it may be a good idea to have the vehicle serviced before driving a long distance, as this could result in other parts or sensors in other systems being harmed. If you can have those p-codes scanned and would like my opinion from there, feel free to bounce any questions you may have off me! All follow-ups are Free even after you rate! If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Were there any other questions you had on this issue?