Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 explorer 2wd with advancetrac rsc. It is

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 explorer 2wd with advance track rsc. It is making a loud noise that I thought might be a wheel bearing but there is no play. I jacked up the rear end and gave it just a little gas. The tires shuttered as they rotated with rsc on and off? I'm trying to determine what may be wrong. The car has 150k but is in otherwise perfect shape.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It makes noise which sounds like a bearing when driving. It drives fine but the noise is not right. It is coming from the rear axle area.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/26/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The best way to determine if a wheel hub bearing is bad is to drive the vehicle. Get it to the speed where it is the loudest. Swerve long and aggressive but safe. If the noise comes and goes then it is a wheel bearing to blame. Being 2wd you can check the rear wheels on a rack with the traction control disabled. You will need a stethoscope to hear for excessive noise at the back of the hub. A good bearing will be quite. A bad bearing will sound like a leaf blower. To test the front wheels you need to spin them. I use a high speed electric drill with a hole saw in it that is wrapped in duct tape then hold it against the tire to spin it. On hub bearing style wheel bearings you rarely find a wheel loose even when the bearing is bad.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I already know it is not the bearings, I believe it has to do with the advance track RSC. When on jackstands the wheels should increase speed smoothly. They do not with or without advance track on or off.

While driving does it spit and sputter and have jerky acceleration?

While driving are there any warning lights on?

It is difficult to trick the ABS system, AT, and RSC running on a rack because it sees the rear wheels spinning and the front not. So it thinks your spinning out of control . If turning it off does not allow you to run it on a rack then try barely apply the brakes while running it in gear, if that also does not help then remove the ABS fuse.

Do you need more help on this concern?

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris