A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2006 ford escape hybrid. Drivers door locks but doesn't

Customer Question

2006 ford escape hybrid. Drivers door locks but doesn't unlock with keypad and FOB's.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The door lock mechanism does not unlock the drivers door, but it unlocks all the other doors. I bought a replacement part (used) and that didn't work either. I'm now thinking it's a wire.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Does the drivers door lock and unlock from the drivers or passenger door lock switches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only locks, does not unlock.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The problem is the drivers unlock relay which is an internal part in the dash fuse box called the Smart Junction Box or SJB. It is a module which controls the door locks and several other functions in the vehicle. The relay can only be replaced with the dash fuse box. It cannot be serviced by itself. The dahs fuse box, or SJB will have to be programed to the vehicle once replaced to work properly in the vehicle. See the wiring diagrams below.