Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1997 2wd F150 while in park it runs fine, till I t the…

Customer Question
my 1997 2wd F150 while...
my 1997 2wd F150 while in park it runs fine, till I hit the brakes then it shuts down. I changed my brake light switch on the pedal, reset the engine by unplugging the battery for 30 mins. Started it up touched the brake it shut down again. All I could think of was that switch, is there anything else I can try. If I rev the shit out of it and ram it into neutral while engaging the brake at the same time then I can drive it but I then disconnect the brake switch and have no tailights.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/26/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician

Did the vehicle shut down when the brake is pressed and the brake switch is unplugged?

No
Thats the only way I can drive it trick it then unplug it
WOuld the plug into the switch be faulty I only replaced the switch itself, is there a breaker for that unit?
I mean a fuse

There is a fuse for the brake lamp but that shouldn't cause a stalling concern. Do you have a way to see if any codes are present?

If you unplug the brake switch and it still stalls I don't think it's the brake switch. I would plug off the vacuum line going to the brake booster and see if it still stalls. It almost sounds like your vacuum booster is leaking and causing a vacuum leak.