Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Ford F150 Lariat. When I went out to start it…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Ford F150 Lariat. When I went out to start it this morning, it just turned over and wouldn't start. Almost but not quite. There was also an odd exhaust smell.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well that was about it. I thought it might be just the cold and I hooked up jumper cables to it but still no go.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here?

Was the smell like a fuel or sulfer type smell?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

5.4 liter.
More of a sulfer type smell.

O.k.,the smell you have here is unburned fuel in the exhaust.This usually indicates the engine is running to rich and the no start is probably due to the engine being flooded out with fuel.There may be an issue causing an over fuel issue or the engine computer may have accidentally flooded the engine when you tried to start it.

One thing you can try is turn on the key and hold your foot to the floor on the gas pedal then crank over the engine.This puts the computer into a clear flood mode and turns off fuel.If the engine starts then release your foot from the gas pedal.If this does not work remove all spark plugs and if they are wet with fuel clean and dry them or replace them and see if the engine then starts.

If it still does not start then there is an issue with over fueling.This can be a fault with the computer holding the injectors open as it may have failed internally needing replaced or shorted fuel injector wiring.I have also seen the engine coolant temp sensor send an incorrect engine coolant temp signal and cause a flood out issue.These would need to be checked into/tested further to locate which component is the cause here and from there then it can be repaired/replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete