Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 93 bronco with a 200,000 mile engine in it. What is…

Customer Question
I have a 93 bronco...
I have a 93 bronco with a 200,000 mile engine in it. What is th possibility of dropping in a newer engine from a 2000 plus, in order to better fuel mileage.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will try to help, What size engine do you have in it now? 5.8? or 5.0? These Bronco's (Big Bronco, not Bronco II) they never got good gas mileage.

5.0 full size, what would be a ball park number and is it possible to put a newer 302 in. My friends 150 runs a 5.0 and average 18 city and up to 23 highway. I believe it is 07, same engine and auto with four wheel drive. I have the automatic with over drive and in two drive runs approximate 1800 rpm at 60 mph.

The short answer is yes, it is possible, however, You have to get the entire wiring harness, from whatever donor truck/suv you get it out of, including the PCM (engine computer) and the transmission as your transmission would not be compatible with a PCM from a newer vehicle like that, So it can be done. but it requires more than just a routine engine swap. Is this something you would do yourself? or do you have a shop that you are considering for this job?

Just getting information if I decide to go forward I'll contact you again. O at my Age a shop would be performing the work. Thanks

Alright I understand. The swap can be made, however, for that extra 4 miles a gallon, I really don't know that the expense warrants it, unless your engine is defective and you were going to swap it anyway of course. The entire wiring harness, all the accessories, the PCM and transmission need to be swapped as well to really get that gas mileage that newer cars are getting. It may even require a new gas tank and some modification there, as your fuel pump puts out about 30-40 psi and depending on what year engine your donor comes out of, those engines might require 50-60 psi of fuel pressure, There really is more to consider than just the engine swap alone, but those are the main things you would be looking at. Let me know if you have any further questions on it. Thank you.

Thanks for the information.

Absolutely, Thank you.

If you have any further questions let me know and we can continue the conversation, if not and your satisfied please rate the question accordingly. Thank you for using our site.

Thanks again

Absolutely.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician