Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 (10/98) Contour - Won't start, turns over.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
I can access the fuel pump pretty easily. I have a volt meter, I do not hear it coming on. What should be the voltage (when and where?)
1/23/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. No rate, site gets it all.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Do you have a theft light flashing on the dash right now?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,

touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

No theft light flashing
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello Eddie here , I see the first expert has opted out, So you do NOT hear the fuel pump prime when you just turn the key ON correct? Do you happen to have a fuel pressure gauge by chance? If not, can you make it run briefly by spraying some starting fluid or carb cleaner directly into the air intake? Having a person inside cranking while you spray it is helpful, but this would tell us if indeed it had spark and all the mechanics of the engine were good. let us know, Thank you.

Lets assume the engine mechanics are fine. I would like to test for proper voltage at the relay and the pump connector. Which relay? What voltage should appear when key is on, and on what pins

I understand, Does this contour have the 2.0 or 2.5L engine?

Does the check engine light come ON in the dash with the key ON? That means the ign. relay and the EEC power relay are good.

2.0. Vin 3Yes it comes on

Alright, that means the EEC power relay is good, I'm going to pull the wiring diagram. I'll post it here. give me just a second.

Here is the diagram.

Do you know where the inertia switch is? (fuel pump safety shut off)? If you check it at fuse 14? voltage at fuse 14 in the underhood fuse panel, fuse 14 should be HOT when cranking, as the fuel pump relay should energize that fuse when cranking, let me know if that is hot or not , or you could check it at the inertia switch. up to you.

You should get battery voltage on fuse 14, 12 volts +.

Is that something you feel you can check and have the tools to do it with?

You have the owners manual? If so, turn it to "fuses and relays" and it will give you a good breakdown of the fuses and fuse numbers. number 14 should be a blue 15 amp. if not let me know and I can post you a link to it.

Any luck with that? thanks.

At the same time I checked the 14 fuse I decided to google which wires on the fuel pump needed tested (Orange Blue / Black) and tested those on ignition and voltage was present. Of course it was present at the fuse and relay R7 at that point.You did not answer the questions I actually asked and had to use other resources.
I am sure we would have got to those, but I did say I had access to the connector and did ask for which wires and when, if we had started there this would have made a lot more sense.That being said, you seem to know this car, so I ask, is there any strange anomaly that could cause the voltage to exist and the fuel pump not to work? Probably not, but I have seen strange stuff.
Also, I realize the proper way to replace this is a fuel pump that is 3 times the price of a bosch or denso, and a special tool from ford, additionally dropping the tank. This car just does not seem worth that. Do you see issue with the top tank method and cutting away some of the frame? Your experienced opinion here would be greatly appreciated.

I told you to check it at the inertia switch because it is easiest. Sorry if that wasnt what you considered best, to check it at the pump, You would have to drop the tank, Where did you check it at?

Wow, I guess you did not read the other part where I mentioned I had asked for Some one familiar with the car. I also mentioned I had easy access to the fuel pump.Please re read and see your errors with this
I am under the back seat. It is easily accessible that way

Let me opt out so another expert can assist you then, best of luck with it.

Sir, another expert would imply you were one, you cannot read it seems, or your system is not displaying what I am writing.
I will contact customer support about your service so they can see which one it is.

Did you see the wiring diagram I posted for you? It shows exactly what wires are hot going to the fuel pump, which is what I thought you wanted initially, Im not sure exactly what your after now, so that is why Im opting out, Please contact customer support and thank you.

Ford Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there. I hope I'm not too late...

You posted: "Lets assume the engine mechanics are fine. I would like to test for proper voltage at the relay and the pump connector. Which relay? What voltage should appear when key is on, and on what pins?

The answers are: The fuel pump relay. System voltage (more than 11 volts) should appear on the installed and energized fuel pump relay pins 2, 3 and 5 (cavities 2 and 3 only with the relay removed and ignition switch on). With the relay energized, system voltage should also appear on pin 3 of the fuel pump module (Violet/Orange wire)

Sorry for all the previous confusion. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards.

Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Did you still need help with this?

I have figured it out. Please close the question or refer to support so I can get my funds back for the question as the service received from the previous expert is not worth the fundsThank you
Dan, Technician