Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was passing a car going uphill in a truck lane just got by…

Customer Question
hi john, I was passing...
hi john, I was passing a car going uphill in a truck lane just got by & crested the hill and red wrench light came on & engine went to a spudder like 2 cylinders no throttle at all , found a place imediately to pull over, was un able to move car , this happened to my wife 1-20-16 in our 2014 fusion se 2.0 turbo with 38.400 miles .i went to rescue her - got there shut car off ,check all fluids -ok ,started car & its perfect- i checked code - and p2111 came up and said underdermined, then drove 75 miles to home ran great ? John how can I be sure! this doesnt happen to my wife again ?? i have driven 90 + miles since ok .. ty
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/23/2016
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. The red wrench light means, there is a problem with the Electronic throttle Module. As of right now, Ford is aware of this, it's on Fusions, Escapes, and some other Mercury models. What Ford has come up with as a repair, is cleaning the Throttle Module, and downloading new software that is suppose to fix it. However, to be blunt, I'm not sure this will fix it, as I think the Throttle Module itself is a bad design and should use a different design inside to send the positioning signal. But, that is just my opinion. Ford is aware of this and should repair this for you for free in my opinion. It doesn't look like it's a recall yet, but it does look like it's close. I would say call your closest Ford dealer, tell them you have the P2111 on your Fusion and see when they can get it in to service. I feel sure it won't be the first time they have seen this problem.

Code description for the P2111 is as follows.

Possible causes

- Throttle Body Plate Binding
- Faulty Throttle Actuator
- Throttle Actuator harness is open or shorted
- Throttle Actuator circuit poor electrical connection

Here is an interesting read on the problem that you may want to bring to the service writer or managers attention at the dealership.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=PE13003&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

.