Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I went out and started my 89 f150 5.0 2 days ago started and…

Customer Question
I went out and...

I went out and started my 89 f150 5.0 2 days ago started and ran fine went to start it yesterday and heard fuel pump but when I turned it over nothing like it has no spark ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

All I can say is it cranks over and I smell fuel but it won't fire it seems like !

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you pull the coil wire off of the coil and crank the engine over , do you see a nice blue spark out of the coil?

I need help for that right ?

Yes you will need someone to crank the engine over for you while you watch for fire out of the coil.

If there is none is it the control module?

In most cases the loss of spark on your 1989 is usually due to a failing ignition module and in most cases due to the age of the truck you should also consider replacing the distributor pick up coil located inside of the distributor when replacing the module.

You have to pull the distributor to replace the pickup right?

Yes, you need to line the rotor up with #1 on the cap, remove the distributor and then remove the roll pin from the drive gear and the gear has to be pressed off. Once the gear is off the shaft come out to access the pick up coil.

It would be easier just to replace the whole distributor wouldn't it?

Yes it actually would . Save you a lot of head ache if you do not have access to a press .

Ok if I put a new one in how do I go about timing it ?

To time it, remove the SPOUT connector that should be taped to the harness the the ignition module and once you have the distributor set at TDC with the rotor pointed at #1 on the cap start the engine and set base timing at 10 degrees BTDC and tighten it down. Then reinstall the SPOUT connector and your good to go.

How do I know if I have the new one in the right position?

Actually #1 is marked on the cap and once the rotor is pointed at it the timing mark on the harmonic balancer should point at 0 degrees which is top dead center.