Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2002 ranger xlt supercab 5spd 2wd pats system type E. I HAD

Customer Question
2002 ranger xlt supercab 5spd...
2002 ranger xlt supercab 5spd 2wd pats system type E. I HAD TO REPLACE STEERING COLUMN AND ALL PATS RELATED COMPONENTS EXCEPT THE PCM. I HAVE TWO NEW UNCODED TRANSPONDER KEYS. ALL OTHER KEYS WERE LOST. HOW DO I GET THESES KEYS PROGRAMMED, OR BETTER QUESTION HOW DO I GET THIS [email protected]#$%# ***** STARTED!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately the keys need programmed with a dealers WDS computer/scan tool when the electronics have been replaced like this here and with the new keys.I do not see any bypass options for this model here to get the truck started without it being programmed and I wish I had better news for you on this.I know this may not be what you wanted to hear but I can only post what needs done and in this situation a dealer or authorized repair center has to program this so it will start which means you may need to have the vehicle towed to them.I now this can take around an hours labor to have done and some places may only charge a half hours labor to do this.Here is the procedure they follow:

SPECIAL TOOL(S) NOTE: ^ This procedure is used when a customer needs keys programmed into the system and does not have two programmed ignition keys available. This procedure is also useful when programmed ignition key(s) have been lost or a new ignition switch assembly as been installed, and it is desired to erase key(s) from the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) memory. ^ This procedure will erase all programmed ignition keys from the vehicle memory and the vehicle will not start until two keys have been reprogrammed to the vehicle. ^ Two PATS encoded keys with the correct mechanical cut must be available to carry out this procedure. One or both of them may be the customer's original keys. ^ If additional keys are to be programmed, refer to Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys. If the remaining keys are with the customer and are not available with the vehicle, then instruct the customer to refer to the Owner's Guide under the "Programming Spare (SecuriLock(R) North America, Safeguard(R) U.K. or PATS for all other markets) Keys Procedure" for instructions on programming the remaining keys. 1. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN. 2. Using the diagnostic tool, follow the SECURITY ACCESS to obtain security access. 3. From the diagnostic tool menu, select IGNITION KEY CODE ERASE. 4. Turn the ignition switch to OFF and disconnect the diagnostic tool. NOTE: Do NOT select any additional commands from this menu. 5. Insert the first encoded key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to RUN for three seconds. 6. Insert the second encoded key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the switch to the RUN position for three seconds. 7. Remove the second encoded key from the ignition lock cylinder. 8. The vehicle should now start with both ignition keys.

Pete, Auto Service Technician