Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

4r100 tranny lost all gears including reverse
, I was

Customer Question

Customer: 4r100 tranny lost all gears including reverse
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was towing my camper and lost everything. no lock up in any gear
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yep
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

What vehicle and year is your 4r100 out of?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Is the fluid full and what is the condition? Is it burnt smelling or overfull? Does it make any noises, buzzing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 99 f250
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

What does the fluid look and smell like? Has the transmission been worked on lately?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i changed the fluid and filter cant really tell the level on the stick to good but before i changed it it looked a little high but hadnt added and looked good previously before
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Has the computer been tested for trouble codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't got any lights on the dash but also don't think my check engine light works and no haven't scanned it yet. Just scan w a OBD 2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If reverse isn't working along with all the other gears then it's not my torque converter??
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Ok from your description it sounds like you either have a convertor failure or input shaft failure. Either way the transmission will need to come out for inspection. The trans should have at least reverse and 2nd gear if all electrical connectors were removed from the transmission.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes the splines will strip out inside the convertor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Besides pulling the transmission how do I replace the input shaft? And should I replace the planetary assembly
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

The input shaft on these pulls straight out so it would be easy to see if it was broken, you can then install the input shaft into the convertor and it should spline in and hold and not slip like nothing is there.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

If the shaft and convertor look ok, then disassemble the trans for inspection to see where the loss of gear is at.