Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

The problem is belt squeal on a 2002 4.2 windstar. that

Customer Question

Customer: the problem is belt squeal on a 2002 4.2 windstar. that stalls the engine on occasion also seems connected to a miss when it squeals.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I changed the serpentine belt and the tensioner, also the power steering fluid to a straight synthetic, now it squeals just a little at lower rpm but while driving i still noticed a very occasional miss.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes I just got my hours as a truck driver cut today so less would be great.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Scott

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Is the squeal noise more of a chirp type noise that is intermittent?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

The squeal along with the occasional miss is usually a problem with the cam syncro assembly squealing or vibrating, when this happens the cam signal is lost and the computer will shut down for a brief instant causing the miss to occur.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

The cam syncro is basically where the old type distributors used to be, these syncros are the oil pump drive. These syncros are timed, so removal and timing during installation is a must.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott