Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 05 ford escape 3.0, when I got it, the fuel pump…

Customer Question
I have an 05 ford...
I have an 05 ford escape 3.0, when I got it, the fuel pump ran all the time and didn't sound healthy. The engine ran and idled very rough. Got a new pump to replace it and noticed someone had added a ground off the harness to the body under the pump access. (explains why the pump ran constant) I removed the ground jump and replaced the pump. Now the pump primes and shuts off properly when the ignition is turned on. Try to start and it acts like it wants to hit, but will not start at all now. I've also replaced plugs, boots, fuel filter, throttle position sensor and the fuel pressure sensor. Also replaced the vacuum lines from the fuel pressure sensor all the way to the other side of the plenum. (they were bad). There are no DTC'S present. Also cleaned out the throttle body. any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). No experts here are Just Answer employees, we do not get a paycheck or benefits from JA. We are independent contractors, only paid when you rate our answer.

Since you have now had your hands on many things there is a possibility there is more than one issue. Lets start with fuel pressure. Do you know what the pressure is with the key on and if not can you test it?

it doesnt have a.Schrader to hook up the gauge that I can find.... I tried a little starting fluid... no change.... wants to start... but won't.

Fuel pressure is checked with a scan tool or by disconnecting the fuel line and installing a T fitting to a pressure gauge.

I'll have to find a tee fitting to hook up to my guage. I don't think my scan tool will read fuel pressure. I would guess that advance auto will have one. Are you suspecting that the new pump is bad? It did cross my mind, that's why I hit it with starting fluid to see if it would change. Still wanted to fire, just won't.

So far I am not suspecting anything being I do not have enough information yet. I am sticking with fuel pressure for the moment since that is what started these chain of repairs. If you would like though I can move on to the other things needing to be tested with the assumption pressure is fine. Those include compression, ignition spark, and injector pulse.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If you do not see the rating scale, or are new and confused, let me know.

I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

I only receive a portion of your deposit when you rate. If you do not rate or rate bad, the website keeps all of the deposit you have already paid.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Ok, I am in for the evening, I can pick up the tee after work tomorrow to get a real time fuel pressure reading. I would prefer to follow each step to give you the info you need rather than jump around. can this case be kept open, so I can give you the pressure reading tomorrow around the same time?

We have 7 days to get the post rated. If that does not occur then it closes on the 7th day. Yes we can continue on tomorrow or whenever.

Ok, I'll get you the pressure reading tomorrow, Key on...... and while cranking. Thanks, ***** ***** you soon.

Super

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off. I am also sending an offer allowing me to upload diagrams or repair guides if that helps.

Thanks Chris