Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Sampsell - My 2013 Ford Explorer will switch from warm/hot…

Customer Question
***** ***** Sampsell -...

***** ***** Sampsell - My 2013 Ford Explorer will switch from warm/hot to cold air. It doesnt warm up until we get moving down the road and then after about 3- miles it switches to cold .... then back to wark from time to time. Im lost. You have any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Its just the warm air changing to cold air without warning.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yeah I can wait

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is***** will assist you.

If the temp changes back and forth on its own with no air flow change, then the issue may be your thermostat on the engine and not the switch in the car. If the thermostat is opening and closing, it will have the temp changing.

Now if the air is changing in the car, see if the temp changes which each rev of the engine versus idle of the engine. If so, there is a vacuum leak between the control switch and the vent control aka actuator at the air box. That vacuum leak will need to be found by removing the dash and chasing taht whole line looking for cracks and feeling for suction along that line. It could be in the actuator itself where the small diaphragm is bad and letting the vacuum leak by.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?