Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1993 f150 302 jumps from 8 to 6 cyl then runs fine
,

Customer Question
1993 f150 302 jumps...

1993 f150 302 jumps from 8 to 6cyl then runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

engine lite comes on lack of power then bang runs great lots of power in an hour it will happen 2 3 times .new fuel pump rotor dist plugs wires all sensors replaced also egr

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

When the check engine light come on, do you know what the fault code and or codes its setting?

I have a code reader it just shows running on 8 then 6cyl no other codes show up

Are you able to watch the timing when the problem is occurring and see if it become erratic?

new timeingchain all sensors replaced egr on cold starts surges smell gas acts like its flooding rev up engine then good until I start to drive good power then lack of power then all is good after 15 20 min it starts over again

Spark timing is controlled by the computer and I would like you to try and look at the timing with a timing light hooked up while the problem is occurring and see if its erratic and not holding steady.

I live in middle of nowere don't have timming lite

Well I am think the problem you are having is an electronic control concern if its coming and going. If the computer is loosing the PIP signal from the distributor Pick up it can cause this type of problem. Why dont you try disconnecting the SPOUT connector and see if it then runs right. There will be a little loss of power with it removed but can you try this and let me know the results?

what is spout connector

The SPOUT connector is the connector that has to be removed to set the distributor timing. If you do not have a timing light and you did not remove the SPOUT , how did you set the timing ?

I did not set timing it was done at shop 2yrs ago

Well then we are back to checking the timing while the problem is occurring. You will need a timing light to do this.

Well Ron it seems like you cannot help thanks George

Unfortunately you are right, If you are not able to check these things, anything I suggest would simply be guessing and I am not prepared to do that.