Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I HAVE A 2003 FORD E250 SHUT DOWN ON ME ONE DAY NO FUEL

Customer Question
Customer: I HAVE A 2003...
Customer: I HAVE A 2003 FORD E250 SHUT DOWN ON ME ONE DAY NO FUEL COMING UP CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP I WAS GOOD A WEEK LATER THE VAN DIES ON ME AGAIN GOT IT TOWED HOME THE NEXT DAY I TRIED TO START IT IT STARTED WRIGHT UP NO PROBLEM I LET IT RUN FOR WHILE AND ABOUT AN HOUR LATER IT SHUT OFF DIDNT START IT COOLS OFF THE IT STARTS AGAIN WHAT COULD BE WRONG
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: NO FUEL COMING UP WHEN IT WARMS UP
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YEA
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician

Hello, what engine do you have in this vehicle?

5.4

To test I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge. More than likely the fuel pump is failing when it gets hot. If you drive while watching the fuel pressure you will see the fuel pressure drop off as the fuel pump is failing.

IT is new fuel pump i changed it again thinking it was faulty its still doing the same thing someone told me it could be te crank sensor i dont think so i get spark

Do you ever have any codes?

STILL waiting on an answer

I'm going over a wire diagram? Do you have codes? If you tested the fuel pump and your positive it's passing I would replace the PCM power relay. If it restarts right away it could be a loose ground.

I get no codes
If it is a loose ground why would it shut off only when the van warms up without driving it

The problem is there can be many things wrong with this vehicle. You were correct you could have a bad crank sensor. I can give a list of parts to try but without proper diagnostics or tools to test items. It's a guessing game.

IM goin to change the pcm and test the crank sensor again or just change it and i will get to you
send me the other parts you thing could be bad
thanks
cam sensor and crank sensor would give me a code
CHANGED THE CRANK SENSOR STILL AND THE PCM RELAY AND STILL NOTHING

The cam and crank sensor don't have to have a code to be bad. It could also be a defective mass air flow sensor.

CHANGED CAM SENSOR STILL NOT STARTING OR GETTING FUEL PRESSURE

Your losing fuel pressure when it gets hot? Did you replace the fuel pump relay

NOW THE VAN WILL NOT START AT ALL THIS MORNING I STARTED IT AND ONLY RAN FOR ABOUT 15 MIN
AND DOES NOT WANT START

You replaced the fuel pump relay. Do you have a multi meter?

I replaced the fuel pump and the relay crank and can sensor also
i dropped the tank again yesterday and found that the new fuel pump i installed was faulty put another pump in started wright up
i hoping the crank sensor was the problem for shutting off when i warms up i let it run for about two hours last night and it didnt shut off i'll give you and update later
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Great. Please remember to rate my answer if you haven't already so I receive credit for assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IM BACK TO SQUARE ONE again fri on my way home from work it just died on me again i let it sit for about hour and it started again
what could this issue be ?
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago

Do you know if you have a retur less fuel system or not?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
dont know

What brand fuel pumps are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bought it from auto zone

So the last fuel pump fixed the concern for 3 days. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can hook up and watch pressure while driving?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Found the problem one thing i should have checked first COOLANT TEMP SENSOR
changed it and it started Wright up

The coolant temp sensor? Was it reading negative 40 all of the time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never tested it but I remembered I had the same problem with a friend of mines van the sensor reads a very high temp making it look like the engine is overheating the shuts down the fuel pump

If a failed temp sensor on this showed overheating it will set a code.

James, Ford Technician