Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My heater blows cold air at idle

Customer Question
My heater blows cold air at idle
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/19/2016
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Hi there,

This issue normally indicates an air pocket trapped in the heater core. When you are going down the road the water pump forces the air out of the heater core and it can get the coolant in there to generate heat. I would start by checking the coolant level in the radiator and if it's low top it off. If it doesn't look low on the cold engine then the system will have to be bled to get the air out. If there has been any work done on the cooling system then it needs to go back as maybe it wasn't bled properly.

Also, sometimes having a flush and fill done with a machine will remove all the air on stubborn systems.

How do I bleed the air out

Which engine do you have in the truck?

6.4

Ok, sorry for the delay, I wanted to get you a copy of the bleeding procedure.

HERE is a link that should get the air out of the heater core for you.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

I had a leak on the bottom hose. I drained the system replaced the o ring and did a flush since the system was drained. I had thsi problem last year also.
I will go to the link and let u know how it turns out. Thanks

Ok, if there is a leak you will get air replacing the coolant and it will end up trapped in the heater core.

I am not saying you still have a leak, but that could be where the air pocket came from. If you get heat, then lose it again, have the cooling system pressure tested.

You are very welcome, and please let me know if there is more I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

I not leaking any water now.

Ok, then this should work to get you heat. If not, check and make sure the heater hoses into the firewall are getting hot and we can go from there.

Do you need further assistance with this?
Please remember to rate my answer.

Thank you.