Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99 ford ranger, and yesterday ran great. today it…

Customer Question
Hi there i have...

Hi there i have a 99 ford ranger, and yesterday ran great. today it will crank put not turn over. it would not even take a jump. please help

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What do you want to know

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/18/2016
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

See if the engine will start up for a few seconds with starting fluid sprayed into the throttle body. If you don't have none, listen if the fuel pump runs for a few seconds once you turn the key to run, the check engine light comes on then goes off and stays off and there are no security or theft messages. If the fuel pump doesn't run put your finger on the relay and feel if it's clicks when first turning the key to run. If it does check the inertia switch. If the relay does click and the inertia switch is fine, check the fuel pump fuse.

If the fuel pump does run, check for spark. Or check the fuses for the ignition, coils, ecm/pcm etc.