Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2008 Ford Escape won't start with key. Replaced ignition

Customer Question
strict and starter. Now here's...
2008 Ford Escape won't start with key. Replaced ignition strict and starter. Now here's the kicker, if I turn the key then pop my hood and use a wire on a sensor if starts! What could this mean?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Is this an escape or a escape hybrid and is it a xlt, xls or limited and which engine, the 2.3, 3.0 and what sensor under the hood are you referring to and where is the other end of the wire attached to?

Escape, i don't know if it's an xlt or xls, I believe it's a v6, and I'm not sure what sensor, a guy who knows stuff about cars figured it out for me, and the wire has nothing attached to it. It's just a piece of wire with two ends and I touch the two ends on this sensor and the car starts
Xlt, 3.0. Just looked it up with the vin

I need to know what sensor this is. Can you take a photo of your finger pointing to it or something marking it and post the photo?

Ok, that looks like a relay socket. Did you remove the relay right there?

I bought a new sensor and it didn't fix the problem.

Yeah, here is that Battery Junction Box ,

the relay yo pulled out was the starter relay. Try pulling one of those other relays and put it in that spot and see if the starter cranks now.

the other 3 in that same spot are all cooling fan relays, so try one of them.

Didn't do anything

Ok, so you swapped a relay, is that what you are telling me?

Yeah I tried all of them

Ok,I can see you are jumping 5 to 3 in the relay socket. Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light?

No I do not

Check this fuse, the #27 in the smart junction box under the center of the dash. It should be hot all the time. It feeds that starter relay via the ignition switch, pcm and neutral switch.

Replace that fuse then even if it appears not blown if you have another 20a fuse.

Then with the starter relay in see if the starter cranks now.

Here is the wiring diagram in case we need it for the starter,

Now I am super confused lol I'm sorry I'm not a mechanic. Should I go to autozone and buy these parts ?

Fuses? Look in the fuse box for a spare. I would check the fuse first before you go to autozone. there is also the MIDI fusible link 174a before that #27 fuse.

At least just look at both of them and if 1 is blown get a new fuse if you don't have a spare and while you are there pick up a $5 12 volt test light or multi-meter which will have a voltmeter.

If the fuse is blown, make sure you take it with you too so you get the right type and amperage.

I don't have any fuses that say 20a

What do you mean, spares or are you talking about in the smart junction box under the center of the dash?

Go back to that fuse box where you was under the hood and remove and check that MIDI fusible link 175a. I know I misspelled it before and said 174a, it's a 175a.

OOps, it's actually a 125a. I see it in that diagram now.

How do I check it

First of all, see if it does come out. If so, about all you can do without a voltmeter or 12 volt test light is remove it and look to see if it's blown.

If you don't know what to look for, remove it and take a photo and post that photo and I'll look at it.

I can't get it out

Do you have a pair of pliers? If so, gently try to pull that fuse straight out, maybe wiggling just a little.

get it out yet?

You also need to check that fuse #27 in the smart junction box under the center of the dash if that 125a fuse is ok.

Getting pliers right now from my neighbor

ok

The fuse doesn't come out with pliers, I would need a ratchet set which I don't have.
There's really not much I am going to be able to do it looks like

Forget that fuse for now, that 125a fuse feeds that other #27 fuse anyhow, so you could just check that fuse #27 for now.

Where's that fuse

fuse #27 in the smart junction box under the center of the dash

Here is a diagram of the Smart Junction Box Components

here shows where the smart junction box is, look at the bottom of this diagram, slightly to the right of the middle,

I don't know how to check it and it's getting really cold and snowy where I am
At. I am going to have to call it a night. I am so sorry.

This video shows how, the 4th video is about looking at the fuse. http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2008_Ford_Escape_Hybrid_2.3L_4_Cyl./fuse_interior/replace

I will check in on you tomorrow to see how you are doing.

any news?

My husband has the car at work today.
I won't be able to do anything until
Tomorrow

Ok, the next thing was checking that fuse #27 in the fuse box in the center of the dash, just in case you forgot.

Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

When you turn the key to the ON position does the theft light flash rapidly? Or does it come on solid for 3 seconds then go off?

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician