Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Glow plug problem.
, 2002 7.3, wasn't starting unless…

Customer Question
***** *****, glow plug...

***** *****, glow plug problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

2002 7.3, wasn't starting unless plugged in, found bad gp relay, changed it, still not energizing the gp side, got power from batt to big post, and power on both little terminals, when i turn the key on the wire from cpm is not cutting the circuit to energize the relay, I took cpm wire of and grounded it and that energized the relay, same for the aih

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Ok

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician

Hello, so when you ground the small post on the glow plug relay it energizes and the vehicle will start?

didn't get that far, batteries died, it will start after plugged in.
pcm has power, truck runs fine, even disconnected the eot to see if that would energize the relay, it didn't. its 30 and snowing here.
by energize, i mean create a ground.
would low batteries tell the pcm not to energize the gpr?
after charging the batteries, I created a ground and it started and looped and died, i did change the right side glow plugs, so have are new.

Each glow plug tested with an ohm meter to ground should be between .5-1.9ohms. If grounding the glow plug relay energized it and it started this is a bad ground inside the PCM itself. The repair for that will be to replace the PCM or run a manual switch to control the glow plug relay. If you energized it you should keep it energized for at least 45sec before attempting to start.

to fix it, i would have to change the pcm?

Correct if the ground driver in the PCM is bad. Replacing the PCM is the correct repair. If you wanted an inexpensive repair you could wire the small post to a switch inside the vehicle. Run the switch to ground you can manually control the glow plugs.

Hello, can I still offer you assistance? If not please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.

Your good, was hoping there was another answer, I wired a manual switch through a relay.

Wiring a switch is the route I have gone for many customers when this happens.