Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 f150 5.4, heat gets warm but not hot and

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 f150 5.4, heat gets warm but not hot and everything pointed to the blend door. Just got done cutting a hole in the dash to get to the duct which I cut into and the blend door is working. I can put my hand on the heater core and with truck idling I can feel it heat up. When i turn on the heat the heater core cools off. Also sounds like ac compressor is cutting on and off. If I let truck warm up and turn heat on I have hot air but within 20 to 30 seconds it's cool air.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Like what

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/17/2016
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 2 years ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This is common if the heater core is getting plugged up or if the T stat is not opening all the way.

Thanks, Ron

Can't I check the heater core by feeling the hoses to see if both heat up
I don't understand the ac compressor kicking on and off

Yes, but that doesn't identify any blockage. Keep the AC/defrost off right now and do check the T stat like I said.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

ok, I'm going to replace the t'stat right now I'll be back

Great, thanks.

new t'stat did not fix it. My son is in the truck now I had to leave after I installed the t'stat and wasn't able to check then. I guess I'll check heater core tomorrow. The what I understand it I just let truck heat up and check to see if both heater hoses are hot. Is that correct?

That's right.

Thanks

Ok just checked hoses when my son pulled up and hose toward drivers side is hot, one toward passenger side not as hot.
Still trying to figure this out.
Where are you at Ronald

You should have this system flushed with a cooling system flushing machine.

Thanks

I drained radiator when I replaced t'stat, fluid didn't look that bad . Can you explain what the flushing will do. I know it would be good maintenance, but I'm not seeing how that will fix the ac cutting on when I turn the heat on.

It goes through the whole block of the motor too.

Thanks, ***** ***** don't forget to rate me and keep this link for future reference.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor