Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 1988 mustang Gt with 5.0 fuel injected engine and…

Customer Question
I have an 1988 mustang...
I have an 1988 mustang Gt with 5.0 fuel injected engine and everyone says I need an inline fuel pump that puts out 38-40 lbs pressure. Is this right? If so what kind of fuel pump do I need. The pump I have now puts out 22 lbs and it won't start. Take the air cleaner loose and put in 1 squit
of starter fluid and it starts right off. Help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1/16/2016
Ford Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

The fuel pressure should be 35 to 45 psi with key on engine off. If you are at 22 lbs, your pump is weak and needs to be replaced. The fuel pump is located in your fuel tank. You would need to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump. If you purchase a direct fit fuel pump from rockauto.com or the auto parts store it will work fine. Would you like the replacement instructions for the fuel pump?

Did that help answer your question or do you need further assistance?

This is a joke -just a way to get money. He told me basically the same thing I told him. Just a way to get a person to apply for a program to ask questions and keep paying for a subscription monthly when All I wanted was one question answered. It said you could cancel anytime and I hope you got my word to cancel if not you have it now. My question was I needed an inline fuel pump and I received no answer to that question. A complete joke 1111111111111111

you should probably let somebody else fix this.

Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

You may or may not need an inline fuel pump. The Low Pressure In-Tank Fuel Pump was for 1980 and 1984-86. Unlike the typical high pressure fuel pumps found on fuel injected systems of the mid-to-late 1980's, the electric pump used in 1980 was a low pressure in-tank version, which did not feed an external, high pressure pump. (This configuration represents an exception, however, as most fuel injected systems in subsequent years utilized either a single, in-tank high pressure pump or a combination of an in-tank low pressure pump and an external high pressure fuel pump.)

If you would like me to read more and answer you, let me know cause I seen where you said, "This is a joke ... cancel ...A complete joke 1111111111111111"

I am a new expert because the expert before opted out.

Low Pressure In-Tank Fuel Pump-1984-86.

High Pressure In-Line Fuel Pump-1984-86

This is all for the Central Fuel Injection (Cfi) System.

If this is the ELECTRONIC MULTI-POINT (EFI) AND SEQUENTIAL (SEFI) FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS / ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP then All 1984-86 EFI and 1986-88 SEFI models are equipped with two electric pumps. A low pressure pump is mounted in the tank and a high pressure pump is externally mounted. All 1987-88 EFI models are equipped with a single, in-tank, high pressure fuel pump.

The 302 HO is the SEFI,

The Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection (SEFI) system is classified as a multi–point, pulse time, speed density control, fuel injection system.

The SEFI fuel delivery sub–system consists of a low pressure in–tank mounted fuel pump, a fuel filter/reservoir and a high pressure electric fuel pump delivering fuel from the fuel tank through a 20 micron fuel filter to a fuel charging manifold assembly.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Mike I must say I got way more answers from you than the other guy. I know why he opted out. I copied all the information you gave me and although I myself and the people I talked to didn't understand info. as it seemed like the info. could be for 3 different cars. I have turned all the info. you gave me to an older Ford mechanic who is suppose to be an expert on fuel injected mustangs. Maybe he can answer my question - What fuel pump do I need to get for my mustang. I think I got the best info. you could give without seeing my car. I have turned the info. and car over to him. Thank you Mike for your help and info. Jerry

I was simply trying to determine which fuel injected system it has on it and was including everything that read so I could relate them information over to you, so you would know also. This is a SEQUENTIAL (SEFI) FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS and therefore does have 2 fuel pumps.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate me well so I get the credit. Thank you!

I don't know what your rating system is so I'll use 1 to 10 with 10 being the best. Mike S. is very knowable and He gave me a lot of information, but he couldn't be exact without seeing my car and knowing all the information about it which I couldn't give him since I bought the car. I turned his information and my car over to a Ford mechanic. I think Mike gave some very good Info. and I'll rate him a nine [9] I was very happy with his information and tell him Thanks. Jerry

I meant the rating system that should popup on your screen asking you to rate me, don't you see something like that?