Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2005 250 6.0 diesel. It's idling rough, won't

Customer Question

Customer: Hello. I have a 2005 250 6.0 diesel. It's idling rough, won't accelerate, white smoke. It started fine today amd ran well for a couple ***** *****, then the problems happened. It was cold, down to 10, overnight.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's idling rough, won't accelerate, white smoke. It started fine today amd ran well for a couple ***** *****, then the problems happened. It was cold, down to 10, overnight.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: My name is Andrew
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If your using any anti freeze with this issue here even a small amount missing this can be due to a fault with a cylinder head gasket leaking needing replaced.I have seen cylinder head gasket failure before where the coolant leaks into the cylinders causing a hard start,rough idle and acceleration issues and when the engine coolant is being burned off in the engine it creates the white smoke out of the exhaust.

This wont show up as an external coolant or oil leak or oil and coolant mixing as it can leak slightly past the gasket to where coolant leaks into the cylinders.

If you have not had this checked/tested at all to see if for sure this is the cause here this needs done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can fuel gelling be the issue?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If your getting down to 10 at night it is possible fuel gelling is an issue but usually you wont see gelling until around 0 or colder.I wouldnt rule it out though.You might try adding a stabilizer to the fuel or anti gelling additive to see if this corrects the fault here.If this doesnt correct the issue then I would have this checked into further to see if you have a slight head gasket leak needing replaced.

Thanks Pete