Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2002 Ford Sport Track, anti-theft system preventing vehicle

Customer Question
from starting. Have tried...
2002 Ford Sport Track, anti-theft system preventing vehicle from starting. Have tried resetting the system twice. Have a new factory key, anti-theft light blinking about every second or two even when key is out of the ignition.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/12/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

Let me see if I can help get this one sorted out. To diagnose this system you will need a multi-meter.

Try these steps to diagnose what sounds like a bad transceiver:

1. Check fuse 14 (5 amp) of the Central Junction Box (CJB) for being blown, missing, or poorly connected and service as necessary.

2. If fuse 14 checks to be ok, access the transceiver located under the ignition switch tumbler forward of the steering wheel and check the circuits of its connection.

A. A Dark Green/White wire supplies ignition-fed voltage from fuse 14.

B. A Black/Light Blue wire supplies the transceiver a ground.

C. The Grey/Orange wire and the White/Light Green wire are communication circuits running between the transceiver and the PCM. With the transceiver plugged in and backprobing, both wires should read close to battery voltage with a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter (DVOM) (they will not light a test light).

3. If the transceiver circuits show to be ok and the connection is in good condition, replace the suspect transceiver.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jared can you stay on the line while I do what you recommended.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a multi-meter. Is the CJB inside the engine compartment or inside the cabin?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also is the transceiver located under the plastic shrouding covering the steering wheel?

Oh sorry, the CJB is the under hood box.

I'll get a diagram of the transceiver in a sec.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

This one shows a pretty good picture.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** see a 5 amp fuse in the CJB.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any idea how much a transceiver would run?

I'm sorry I just realized that I marked that the CJB is the under hood, it is the under dash. The under hood is the BJB. Sorry! I keep getting pulled away here at the shop. Normally it's quiet around here in the morning.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not a problem. I'm sure you run into this (guys running back and forth between computer and the car they are working on) all the time.

The transceiver ring is about $50. Usually dealer only.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found fuse 14 (inside the cabin). It was a 10 amp fuse. And it looked good. I'll put a Ohm meter on it though.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah it's good. I'm going to go through all the 5 amp fuses to check for continuity.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here's an all important question, if I replace the transceiver will it respond to the existing keys or do I have to have the transceiver programmed?

This model shouldn't need to be programmed if you replace the transceiver ring. the programming is stored in the PCM rather than the transceiver.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I'm taking the ring out now.

Yeah, that's most likely the problem. Let me know if you need any additional info.

I just wanted to check whether you need any additional info.

If you no longer have any questions please don't forget to rate.

Please don't forget to rate. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician