Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I and have an F250, 2003 and twice now the motor temp gage

Customer Question

I and have an F250, 2003 and twice now the motor temp gage has come on. This last time
I stopped for 5 to 10 min. and restarted and all was OK. By the way I opened the hood and
coolant was coming out of the overflow before I restarted.
I drove about 1/2 mile and again the gage came on, but this time when I stopped and
went to put in park as soon as I started to move the shift lever to neutrual the gage dropped to normal immediately and all was OK and I drove home.
This doesn't sound like the thermostadt. Is there some kind of electrical connection from
the steering column and the gages?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Those engines do have some issues with the cylinder head temp sensor causing the gauge to spike. But if coolant was coming out of the overflow, then I would not suspect an electrical concern. Your engine overheated so I would suspect the cooling system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it's a cooling system problem, but why did the temp gage go back to normal as I went from drive to neutral and then
the cooling system worked? The hoses and belt look OK.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

That could have been a coincidence from an air pocket. I can not see any relation with the cht sensor and going from park to neutral. Especially if it overflowed before. Have you verified the coolant level? If there is an air pocket or low coolant the gauge will act erratically.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I think you need to verify the coolant level and redrive it. If the gauge starts to read high again, go check and see if you can verify if the engine is actually overheating. Which you did say has already happened. This just may be a bad t-stat then air pocket.