James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Popping sound in front end

Customer Question

popping sound in front end
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 95 EB everything on the front end has been replaced. I have been chasing this popping sound for almost 2 years. What I've replaced so far....
Radius arms and brackets bushings both polly and rubber the noise remains.
Ball Joints, Tie rods Brakes caliper rotors, Wheel bearings, premium warn hubs, shocks, springs, insulators, Shock towers , motor and tranny mounts, Body Mounts, New U joints front axel and slip joint greesed, Axel pivot bushings, Ball Joints, professionally aligned, Spindel Bearings and seals. axel shaft u joints,
New rear drive line new leaf springs, brackets, bushings, u bolts sway bar bushings
This noise is a popping sound coming from the radius arms I have replace the bushings with both polly and rubber and the noise is still there
When I back up and hit the brakes it will pop and then going forward it pops again almost like its going back into place. I have check the bolts and rivets and they are solid and tight. Once it pops going forward I can do 40 hit the brakes and no popping, go backwards at 5 or better it pops and then when I go forward even at a slow speed it pops, and then doesn't pop again until I go in reverse.
To see if it was the springs possibly binding up they were removed and tried to see if she would pop and she did, going along side the truck and placing your hand on the radius arm near the bushings is where you can feel the pop. I have gone through and replaced the bushings and she does it.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what I would do is go over everything and torque all nuts and bolts on the chassis. If the axle nut or bolt are loose by even a half turn you can get a popping noise. I would also inspect all rivets where the radius arms are and everything else. If the rivets come loose you can get the same noise. Make sure you can move the sway bar links at all as well as the sway bar bushings are in good shape. Is this vehicle stock height with stock wheels?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sway bar is currently off stock height and wheels rivets are solid and have gone over every bolt
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

My only other thought would be a loose transmission mount possibly. I had one doing very odd things before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tranny mount is new and bracket it tight and solid
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Those were all of the ideas I have. I will open this back up for other experts to assist you. Hopefully they will have some fresh ideas.