Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I am changing my factory stereo with an aftermarket one. I

Customer Question
Customer: Hello.... I...
Customer: Hello.... I am changing my factory stereo with an aftermarket one. I have the 5701 wiring harness, so that I can use the steering wheel buttons. I have everything figured out except for the RCA plugs on the 5701 wiring harness. Do I just plug those RCA plugs into the subwoofer output plugs in the back of the aftermarket radio, or do I just wire the white one into the HU subwoofer output?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No issue except for the wiring..... I haven't done anything except for wiring thus far.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/9/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

OEM does not use RCA jacks, so try the RCA's in the back of the radio first.

Can I get the year, make, and model?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If you are unable to rate my response GOOD or EXCELLENT now. Please let me know why ( if I need to help more) and when you will be able to.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1998 Lincoln Town Car with premium JBL sound. Putting in a Sony, using a Metra 70-5701 harness
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are three jacks in the back of the Sony: one marked rear output , one marked front output, and one marked sub output....which do I use? and do I use both red and white jacks, or just one?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told to use 1K resistors to prevent pop and over wattage to remote started, but just don't know about those jacks.

You use both jacks red and white, that is left and right, if your wanting to send a signal to a left and right speaker. If you are using the OEM amp and sub woofer there is a good chance the signal your radio sends out will not be compatible with the signal the OEM parts requires.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you talking about the lower signal? REM OUT MAX 0.4A shows on the blue/white wire for remote signal, so
I thought that's what I was doing with the 1K resistors, lowering it. The wiring on the HU has wires for both left and right speakers already and those are already wired together. But I thought the subwoofer/amp harness, with the jacks, would have needed to wire the jacks to the subwoofer. I guess that's why I was confused. I don't see a wire for the subwoofer on the main HU. I thought that was because Ford had them separate.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am using the OEM amp and sub, tho.....

Below is a link showing the connector at the radio for the only wires going from the radio to the amp.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/radioamp.png

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician