Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Changed TPS and MAF in my Explorer 2002... now it won't

Customer Question
Customer: changed TPS and MAF...
Customer: changed TPS and MAF in my Explorer 2002... now it won't start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: started with power loss, replaced sparks #1 and #6 as per code reader... no improvement... replaced TPS, the same problem with power loss.. replaced MAF and now it cranks but does not start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
James, Ford Technician

If you unplug the new mass air flow sensor will the vehicle start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, it does not start

Do you have a way to test fuel pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pressure is ok... have spark from the coil... suspcing crank shaft position sensor...

When you turn the key on does the theft light blink fast?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no... serviced the pat two years ago

The pats can still fail. If you swap the PCM power relay with a different one does the vehicle start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello... been working around the fuel system today, found the following: sparks are flooded with gasoline!!! removed all sparks, fuel pump relay, released fuel pressure from the system, cranked for a few instants replaced all the sparks, cranked again without the fuel pump relay, motor started, died when no more fuel was present in the system.. So, I assume something is causing the sparks to flood with fuel. Is there any fuel pressure regulator in this ford Explorer 6cyl 4.0L? if yes, where the hell is such regulator?

If you unplug the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. Is there gasoline present in the vacuum line?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
fuel rail has a pressure dampener... don't know where the pressure regulator is
and there is no fuel in the vacuum side of the dampener
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe the fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel pump assembly

Ok yours isn't equipped with a regulator. It's possible your injectors are leaking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all the six injectors leaking at the same time? wow

It's possible. I have seen it on a 2014 gas engine just recently. Is there a vacuum line at all connected to the fuel rail?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the only vacuum line I see is in the fuel dampener... looking at a fuel pump replacement from the internet, it states the fuel pressure regulator is included on the fuel pump... here is the site: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2002/ford/explorer/fuel_delivery/fuel_pump.html
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've spent around 700.00 dollars in parts trying to solve this problem, so spending around 600.00 more in fuel pump and injectors is not a good idea... with that amount could have easily bought a rebuilt motor uffffff

Correct you have a retur less fuel system. If the fuel damper is leaking into the vacuum system it will flood the engine. If you install new spark plugs the vehicle will start until it floods out again. You need to determine where the extra fuel is coming from in order to correct your concern.

James, Ford Technician