Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2011 ford f-350 gas superduty. it has starting

Customer Question

I have a 2011 ford f-350 gas superduty. it has starting problems. sometimes I have to give it gas while cranking and keep the rpm's up for up to a minute and now on cold days it wont turn over until I try to turn the key 15 or so times.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. What is common on your truck is to have a faulty throttle body or a mass air flow sensor.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What would be helpful is first if you could check the computer to see if any codes have been set. The check engine light does not have to be on for a code to be set.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You also could disconnect the mass air flow sensor and see if the truck runs or starts better with it unplugged. But doing that will set a code. So it would be good to check codes first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would the ignition not crank the starter? it was a cold day today, I turned the key at least 15 times before it engaged.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What exactly is the problem? The starter does not crank or the truck is hard to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I turn the key it wont engage the starter, when the starter does engage.... mostly cold days, I have to press the throttle pedal for it to attempt to start then I have to keep it idling via throttle for up to a minute to at least idle.once its warmed up its fine fore the day
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Generally I do not see the 2 issues being related. How many miles are on the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost 200,000
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

When was the last time you replaced the plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its been 6 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
haven't put a lot of miles on it since though
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Well, your going to have to start with one thing at a time. When the starter is not turning and you are trying to start it, you need to check for power at the small trigger wire on the starter. The will indicate if power is getting to the starter or not. Most likely you just need a starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a new starter on it about 3 months ago.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. But you still would want to verify if there is power to it or not. Could be the starter relay not working. COuld be a bad starter, could be an ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im more concerned about having to give it gas while starting. it sputters and dies at times unless I keep the rpm up for a bit
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Throttle body failures are common. The electronic throttle body controls idle speed. And if it does not open enough there will not be enough air to start it. What would be helpful is first if you could check the computer to see if any codes have been set. The check engine light does not have to be on for a code to be set. You also could disconnect the mass air flow sensor and see if the truck runs or starts better with it unplugged. But doing that will set a code. So it would be good to check codes first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im guessing you don't know without a hands on check at a dealer. I can guess all day to, I thought this online service would save me dealer shop time band fees!
I am not 100% satisfied or even 10% and would like my money back!
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I am a dealer service tech. You can check if there are codes like I mentioned without going to the dealer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I check the codes
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Did you try disconnecting the maf sensor?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You need a scan tool. You can purchase a cheap one or some parts stores will lend you one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to purchase a 200.00 tool to check your thoughts that a book tells? Sorry.... I thought this service was cheaper and more knowledgeable. Im sorry I thought I was talking to a Ford service tec!
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I have almost 20 years expertise working on Fords at the dealer. And currently still do. I can tell you what is common and what needs to be done to check and verify the concern. But sorry. I guess you think car repair is just guessing. Good luck.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

Would you like me to try and help?