Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have as 2011 f350 work truck with a 6.2, recently its been

Customer Question
hard starting, it cranks for...
I have as 2011 f350 work truck with a 6.2, recently its been hard starting, it cranks for an extra few seconds before it starts and it also sounds like its dieseling when I accelerate from no throttle, sometimes from a dead start and sometimes when already moving, it only does this for a second, and has full power and runs fine trough the rest of the power range. thanks in advance for any help. Jeremy at New England Electrical.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
1/4/2016
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this issue here at all or have the fault codes been checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue?

Has anything been tested,checked or replaced to try and correct or locate the fault here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the engine light is on and the code on thee is PO420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold. nothing else has been checked or replaced.

O.k.,the code P0420 indicates the catalytic converter is restricted or you have damaged exhaust needing repaired before the catalytic converter or an exhaust leak.In some cases even after market exhaust components at or before the catalytic converter will cause this code.The restriction can cause a hesitation and in severe restrictions can cause hard starting but I dont think this is the cause here for sure on your model.

Other reasons this code can set is is you have an engine coolant temp sensor reading incorrectly,oxygen sensor reading incorrectly needing replaced,high or low fuel pressure due to a fuel pump fault,or a leaking fuel injector.Now any one of these here will cause this code and cause the hard starting as well as the dieseling issue here.These will need to be checked into/tested further to pinpoint the cause and from there then repaired to correct this fault.

Most common is usually a fuel fault with one or more injectors or an issue with the fuel pump itself possibly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks pete, im going to look into those things and get back to you with what I find.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician