Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I'm ***** *****. I've got 23 years experience as a

Customer Question
Customer: I'm ***** *****. I've...
Customer: I'm ***** *****. I've got 23 years experience as a technician on all sorts of machines.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Parked my 91 F150 a while back and it hasn't started since. 40 PSI fuel pressure and it has spark.. Will start and run on starting fluid, which tells me it's a fuel problem at the injectors. I pulled distributor and replaced PIP., disconnected TPS to ensure it was not a WOT problem, and connected breakout box. Testing revealed a ground reading at the ECM that I wasn't happy with, so I've replaced the ECM. Also thought about temp sensor being bad, but it measures good. What am I overlooking?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2016
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Brian,

How old is the fuel in the tank?

Does it have injector pulse tested with a noid light?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Noid lite flashes. Front tank was originally run dry and now has fuel maybe 2 months old.

Ok, I would drain and flush the tank and lines, replenish with fresh fuel.

2 months is old.

I have had cars that won't start cold, and are down on power etc.

We tried everything, until we put new fuel in it.

Customer only drives about 3000 miles (5000km) per year.

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't believe it is fuel related. When engine originally quit, fuel was a couple weeks old. I drove it Saturday, and the next Saturday it would not start. This whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. As I said, having twin tanks, I put fresh fuel in the dry tank, and tried the engine. Still would not start. That was two months or so, ago.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I get a can of injector cleaner, and tie into the fuel rail, maybe that will make it run. If it does, then I guess that would prove you to be right. I've dealt with stale fuel quite often though, and that's why I tried the fresh fuel in the front tank.

I like your thinking Brian.

Can you try that?

Is this only a cold start problem?

In other words, once the engine starts, it performs normally, good power etc?

Gary

Hi Brian,

Have you had some success as yet?

I hope I was able to provide some assistance to you.

Regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician