Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2010 f350 lost p/s and brake boost

Customer Question
2010 f350 lost p/s and brake boost
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. I know it seems obvious but the first thing I have to ask is is the power steering fluid full?

diesel end by the way.
35 yrs own shop. fluid is full but looks like it came out of a torched 700r4! looks like nice clean p/s fluid all over lf steering knuckle. evidence of fluid loss from hydra boost. after it run for 5 min p/s pump starts whining like you have the wheels full lock and it spits fluid out the top of the reservoir.
exquise poor typing

If the fluid is in that bad of shape you need to first flush it then replace the pump. These are tricky to get the air out.. when you replace it it helps to run it while applying vacuum to the P/S reservoir to bleed the air out.

what about what appears to be a blown hydra boost? common failure?

Its not real common on these but it does happen. Contaminated fluid is hard on seals. Do you actually see a leak or just signs that it has leaked?

wet on bottom of booster with nice clean fluid, appears to have sprayed all over LF brake rotor and knuckle. at first glance you'd think brake fluid but its defiantly oil. all over inner fender liner too. could the p/pump on those over pressure, blow seals out and then self destruct?

Its not very likely. Is there a chance someone put brake fluid in the power steering pump?

anything is possible.... but I have done most of the maintence . p/s reservoir sits on radiator support and brake of course is at firewall. lost fluid is nice and clear like p/s fluid but a slight hint of white, like it was sprayed under high pressure

Well if fluid sprayed out under high pressure and it is full I think its safe to assume SOMEONE topped it off. If that wasnt you then as you said anything is possible.

Either way it really doesnt matter much at this point. The fluid is contaminated and needs flushed then the pump needs replaced. The hydroboost was obviously leaking so it needs replaced as well.

figured as much but looking for a common denominator with the failure. also I don't see things until they are out of warranty. hoping to find someone who has seen this calamity before

I havent seen it on this particular vehicle. Hydro boost failures are not at all common on the newer fords. Brake fluid in the power steering pump would explain it all. I have seen that a handful of times and it will wreak havoc on the whole system. If that is in fact what happened I wouldnt be surprised to see the rack leaking too when you get it all back together. I would definitely warn them of the possibility.

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner