Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2010 fusion hybrid that won't start

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Can you give me more details. Does it make noises or anything?

When I turn the key the gas engine turns on for about 3 second then the electric engine turn on I get the green car light for about 5 second then the car turns off

OK so it starts then dies after 5 seconds?

OK. Do you have a scan tool to check for codes? Or a fuel pressure tester?

No

Is the theft light flashing while you are trying to start it?

when I get inside the car the light is flashing

And what is it doing when you try to start the car?

When I put the key in the ignition the light is flashing when I turn to start the car the light is flashing when the car is starting the light is off. When the car turns off the light is off

If you have a second key try that. There is either a malfunction in the security system or the key has "gone bad" if you have another key it may work.. if not you will need a scan tool to see what is going on with the security system.

The light suppose to be off at all times?
Will the car suppose to start and shoot down even with a security issue?

Its supposed to turn off when you put in a valid key and turn it on.

Yes.. it will start but when it doesnt recognize a valid key it will kill it.

basically this light suppose to be off before I put the key in the ignition?

Its supposed to turn off when you put the key in.

Jus to clear as soon as the key goes in before I turn to start light needs to be completely off?

When the key begins rotating from OFF the theft light should turn OFF.

I tried 3 different key and the same...something else comes on mind?

Nope. Its as I said in the first place.

I compared with my friend fusion and it does the same light is on when you put in the key still on in the first turn and turns off after dashboard is complete on and off to turn

OK. Apparently I am having trouble understanding you then.

It sounds like a security issue but if you arent willing to accept that answer what is it you are looking for here?

Without codes or any testing all I can do is base a guess on what little information you can provide.

No problem but before I got here I knew that. ..I believe you will give situation that you seen happen
Why will I pay to have someone tell me I need to take it to a mechanic

I gave the situation I have seen hundreds of times. Customer thinks the car starts but then dies but when in reality what happened was they heard the electric motor turning over the gas engine and thought it was actually running when in reality it was not. Theft light was flashing not recognizing the key. Problem in the security system.. different key made no difference. Problem was in the security system itself.

You replied that was not what you wanted to hear so I wasted my time and your money is safe and you can request a refund.

Take care
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Pete hi
I just got a car from the auction.
I'm trying to save some money.
When I turn the ignition the gas engine start for less than 3 second. The electric engine start for less then 3 second and then the car shots of. Just trying to see if you ever encounter this issue

There was a technical service bulletin out on the 2.5 liter engine for a ground strap issue at the back of the motor that would cause a fault like this here.I would contact a dealer to see if the ground strap recall pertains to your VIN and vehicle and if it has been done already.If it hasnt this should be done and may still be covered under a warranty in some cases.

If this is found to be o.k. your next step here would have to be to get the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.Unfortunately this can be difficult to fully pinpoint from here without knowing what codes are set.You may have an issue with the ignition switch itself as this can sometimes fail but the codes will have to be checked to help pinpoint the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician