Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a XLT 2013 Ford Ranger and has just lost reverse, and

Customer Question
Hi I have a XLT...
Hi I have a XLT 2013 Ford Ranger and has just lost reverse, and it seems it's on a lean to the left. 8hrs from home.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Urgent
Can you hurry a little please with a response
12/31/2015
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

When you place it in reverse does the engine rev up but the vehicle isnt moving and is there any noises under the vehicle at all when trying to move in reverse?

Do all forward gears operate properly?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

1st gear feels like its in 3rd. Also I can't activate the park pilot. I towed a light boat 8hrs to our holiday destination. When I went to go down and get beers the gearbox went on a left hand slant. I've had it a week and it's still under warranty.

Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

When you say slant is the entire gear box slanted under the vehicle?

Manual, when in neutral it's sitting under 1st gear.

O.k.,if nothing has been inspected for this issue here since it looks to be leaning this sounds like the transmission mount may have broken free or become damaged causing this fault here needing replaced.I have seen the mounts fail like this before and had to be replaced.It may be a broken or damaged cross member or even transmission case broken but its hard to say for sure from here without seeing the vehicle.

The transmission/gear box needs inspected under the vehicle for any mount issues or crossmember fault needing corrected and to see if part of the transmission/gear box case may be damaged.

If you just purchased this vehicle this should be covered under factory warranty or the selling dealer may cover the costs for repair on this here.

Unfortunately when the gear box is like this here the vehicle shouldnt be driven this way as this can damage the gear box or other drive train components further to where more repairs may be needed so it is best to have it towed to the selling dealer or a repair center to be repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks mate

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician