SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

2004 ford Taurus, car began to sputter and die in gear,

Customer Question

2004 ford Taurus, car began to sputter and die in gear, changed fuel filter, started ran for 6 miles, sputtered and died. checked fuel pump, would energize, but pump no fuel. changed fuel pump, still will not pump fuel. no fault codes on osbd2
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dave my name is***** the trunk on the left hand side under the fabric cover is a device called an inertia switch, the job of this switch is to disconnect power to the fuel pump in the event of a collision, the switch can be reset by depressing the red button on the top of the switch, however I do not believe your switch is tripped as the engine would not even start if it were, however I believe the switch itself may be defective and intermittently providing power to the pump! You can test this with a test light and and assistant. Access the switch and you will see two wires going into the bottom of the switch both the same colors pink with a black stripe. probe a grounded test light or voltmeter into the connector of each wire to touch the metal spade inside (switch still connected) have an assistant cycle the ignition key to the run position while you check for power at both pins of the connector, you should have batter voltage in and out of the switch! if you do not have power out, you will need to replace that switch! If the switch tests good, the only thing left between here and the pump is the fuel pump driver module