Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1999 Ford V10 heavy duty 4x4 pick up. I am trying

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 1999 Ford V10 heavy duty 4x4 pick up. I am trying to get an idea of the cost to replace the engine - engine cost and labor etc.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a blown head gasket with antifreeze leaking into the combustion chamber... mechanic said I should replace the engine. I have almost 80K miles on the truck - it is a farm truck and I believe it has been roughly used...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long? (My employer is asking me to find this out for him) And can I pay with a CC? And get a reciept to show the purchase?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The labor to remove and replace the engine with transfer of all parts will run you right at 19 hours. I assume if you replacing the engine you are looking at a long block. A reman Ford engine can be very pricey running right at $4800 plus the labor to remove and Install. You can also get an aftermarket manufactured 6.8 for right at $3100. In most cases they are just as good and the saving is worth it. I have enclosed a link to good source in the link below for a replacement engine for considerable saving.

http://www.psengines.com/FORD10.htm