Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My '04 F-150 has all of the sudden begun struggling during…

My '04 F-150 has all...
My '04 F-150 has all of the sudden begun struggling during engine start, even after sitting for les than an hour or so. The starter sounds like it is bogging down to the point it seems it is going to just quit, or start that battery clicking noise, but then it will begin to turn over again and ultimately crank. An auto shop said my battery, starter, and alternator all read fine. There have been no symptoms or codes leading up to this. The truck always started strong until this issue began out of nowhere. The only thing that I know of was I did leave my headlights on briefly while inside a store for about 30-40 mins and I had to get jumped off, but it wasn't your simple/quick jump-off. It took some time to finally get it started and it has still been having these issues ever since. I have only had to jump it once. Every other time it will start as I discribed earlier.
Thanks
12/30/2015
Ford Mechanic: SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior replied 6 years ago
SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior

Hello my name is ***** ***** be clear in understanding the sequence of events with your description of the symptom. Are you saying that the hard start problem started just after you had to have the engine jump started? Is the battery the manufacturer original battery? if not, do you know how old it is? Also, once the engine is running does it seem to run normal with full power?

the hard starts started immediately I had to get a jump about a week ago. Every start since has been sketchy, at best, ***** ***** only had to get one other jump. The rest of the time it will start but only after the bogging. It's never really a strong start anymore. The battery is not OEM and was in it when I bought the truck. I think it's about 3 years old maybe. Once the truck is running it does to seem to be normal at all power settings, to include idol. Something I just remembered is that when it finally does start during the really weak starts, my gauge needles bounce and there's a slight electric clicking sound coming from my dash/gauges for a few seconds following the start.The faint clicking noise with my gauge needles jumping slightly isn't the clicking battery noise, by the way.

I am almost certain that you have a bad cell in the battery! Without a high end tester to properly test the battery the test that most all most shops do is a voltage test and load test! These type of tests are not conclusive to all types of battery failures and do not perform the wide array of tests needed to confirm a battery is good or bad! The symptoms you have described point to a bad battery or a bad positive or negative battery cable! And since the problem started after a prolonged battery drain, it is my opinion that your battery is the suspect. if you have a second vehicle available and a set of quality jumper cables, I would (as a test) even though your truck will start on its own at present, connect the jumper cables to another running vehicle and let it stay connected for 5 minutes or so and then crank your engine to see if it cranks more like normal! If it does, then replace that battery. Your truck came with a 650 cold cranking amp battery, I would replace it with a 750 or 850 CCA battery. The higher CCA batteries seem to last longer as they are not tasked to their max capacity every time you start the engine! The 950 CCA battery in my F-150 is 10 years old and still strong

Thank you, ***** ***** sense and I'll give that a shot. that battery drain could have damaged the battery for good I suppose, but still allowed it to pass a test.

That is correct, batteries are strange and if they tested it immediately after running the engine as opposed to letting it set for awhile can also affect test results as the recent charging from the alternator puts a surface charge on the battery that confuses testers

Have you tried the recommendation that I gave? if so, what were the results

Got a new battery this morning. Cranks perfectly now. Thanks

That is good news, please don't forget to give me a rating so that I might get credit for my answer, thank you and thank you for using just answer.

SuperBob