Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I stumbled across a question you answered a few years ago

Customer Question

Hi Chris, I stumbled across a question you answered a few years ago about a gentleman's volume controls not working. You instructed him to test the ohms at the output wire for each button press. I now need to know what these ohm values are and your diagram came in VERY handy. However, I am confused because it seems the steering wheel buttons can control 2 functions (short press and long press). Would this mean there are 2 different ohm values for each button?
Thanks, Carl
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

It is just the steering control volume control that is inoperable, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, nothing is inoperable. I am trying to determine the ohm values for each steering wheel control button so that I can provide these values to a company called idatalink. They make steering wheel control adapters for after market stereos. I want to use the temp and fan buttons for radio control functions instead of the original functions (since my son never uses them for their intended purpose and I want to include as many radio functions as possible on the steering wheel). So basically, I have to provide them with the ohm values for each button and they will create a custom template for my adapter. I will disconnect the climate control wire and run it instead to this newly formatted adapter. When my son presses the fan(+/-) or temp (+/-), the adapter will receive the ohm value and send the programmed function to the radio. My problem is two-fold. First, when I test the ohm value using my multi-meter, it jumps all over the place and then finally settles at a value. But, since I know that there is a short-press and long-press for these buttons, I am afraid that the values it finally displays is the long-press value. The other issue I have is that the ohm values I am getting from this 2005 F150 do not match the ohm values of the 2007 F-150 diagram you provided to the other person who had the volume control button issue. I just want to make sure I am providing them with accurate ohn values for the buttons so they when they program the adapter to the assigned radio functions, it actually works. Thanks, Carl

Thanks, ***** ***** link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/radiocontrol.png

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.