Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 1993 3.8 L Taurus cuts out occasionally. If I let it set

Customer Question
Customer: My 1993 3.8 L...
Customer: My 1993 3.8 L Taurus cuts out occasionally. If I let it set for a few minutes it will start and run. I've replaced the distributor and coil and suspect something electrical because it cuts out instantly....no shuttering. When it cuts out it MAY start right up or even come back on if running down the highway. Merry Christmas, Chuck
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I don't tehink so
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: another time, thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/27/2015
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. First, have you checked to see if you have spark to the plugs when it doesn't restart? or checked fuel pressure when it doesn't restart? Also, after it cuts off, if you just turn the key on and do not try to crank the engine, does the check engine light come on in the dash at that time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't have spark when it doesn't start. I turn the key on and the engine light comes on before I crank.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I may just install a used ECU and try it.

Alright, if you remove the spout connector does it start then? Also, do you have power at the ignition coil with the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check tomorrow. Thanks, Chuck

OK, let us know Chuck, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replacecd the engine module. It won't die at the shop so they can't tell if there is spark

So it's running fine for now then? until it is actually broke Chuck, there really is just educated guesses as to what it could be. my thoughts are the PCM, the CCRM, or the ignition coil itself is acting up. There isn't that much in that system. But we need it to act up and test for power at the ignition coil with key on (RED/GREEN) wire first.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician