Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My left side exhaust got knocked loose and after repair my

Customer Question
98 F150 4.2L will not...
My left side exhaust got knocked loose and after repair my 98 F150 4.2L will not start. I changed the fuel relay hoping it was a simple issue. Still, doesn't start. Would this happen to be related to the O2 sensor on the damaged exhaust out should I go right to the fuel pump? I know it's not getting fuel, just don't know why.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
12/22/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician

Hello: From the sounds of things, The fuel inertia switch (roll over saftey switch) may have gotten triggered, It has a reset button on top of the unit (right side kick panel) This unit is there so if vehicle is rolled it will cancel out voltage to the fuel pump system, Many times these can trigger from jacking up vehicle or hard banging under vehicle or? When you push down on the reset button , you will feel it click in Thanks, ***** ***** me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue. Have a Merry Christmas!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuel inertia box was not tripped. I apologize. I should have mentioned that earlier. By habit I always check that after being towed. I've been driven crazy chasing that issue in the past.

Only thing that if o/2 got shorted out it would burn fuses Im assuming you have checked all fuses under hood and under steering column? And check fuseable links coming from starter solenoid!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not checked the fuseable links or the diodes. The fuses I have checked. I will get on that first thing in the morning.

Sounds good, there are 3 or4 coming off from the battery pos. post of the starter solenoid

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sir,
The link looks good. However there is a small amount of corrosion on one of the primary battery fuses. I'm about to change the fuel filter (hoping to lucky) but I'm still afraid I'll have to change the sending unit. Any ideas?

You are cerrain that the fuel pump is not running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I'm not certain. Tomorrow I will unhook a fuel line to see what pressure, if any, I'm getting at intake.As for the pump, I can hear the relay, but not the pump. That doesn't mean the pump isn't engaging. My hearing is poor.Today, in an effort to stay away from dropping the tank, I checked the fuses and links, Changed the filter and checked all the lines for kinks.I don't know where else to turn.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I might have help tomorrow, making it easier to check the pressure.

OK, Let me know so we can get this on the road, Thanks for your patience, And Have a very Merry Christmas!

Mastertech1
Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician